Staying Safe around Natural Gas
LOOK for signs of a natural gas leak, such as bubbling in standing water, dead plants or a ring of dead grass, a thick white cloud or fog, a slight mist of ice or unexplained frozen ground near the pipeline. These could be signs of a leak.
LISTEN for a whistling, hissing or roaring sound around pipelines as this could also indicate a natural gas leak.
SMELL – Natural gas does not have an odor when it comes out of the ground. An odor is added which makes it smell like rotten eggs. If you smell gas, leave fast! Tell an adult and ask them to call 911 and CenterPoint Energy.
Natural gas is flammable, meaning it can catch on fire. Under certain conditions, leaking natural gas could possibly ignite if it comes in contact with an ignition source such as an open flame or spark.
Store flammable liquids like gasoline, paint thinners, adhesives and cleaning solutions away from gas appliances. These liquids could ignite if they come in contact with a flame or spark from any source.
Before you dig in your yard, call 811 at least two working days in advance. The utility company will send a representative to make a mark where the natural gas pipelines are in order to prevent damage to a gas pipeline.
Pay attention to your stove. If the flame is orange or yellow instead of blue, tell an adult right away.
Carbon monoxide is a gas that you cannot see, smell or taste, and it can make you sick. A carbon monoxide detector in your home can alert your family that this gas is present.